Thursday, September 12, 2013

Cavalock and The Birthday Crustacean Cascade

Finally managed to enjoy me first dungeness crab and maine lobster dinner last Sunday (was me birthday!!!) at Cajun Kings. I had no idea where they were until we drove into this little enclave along Serangoon, not far from Nex shopping centre. It was pretty packed when we got there, fortunately we reserved a nice little table for four. Well, I liked how causal the whole dining experience was. No cutlery, all hands but you do get a bib before you start digging in.


When the food arrived, we couldn't wait to pour the crab, lobster, corn and mussels out of their plastic bags and onto the long wooden table. It was a crustacean cascade! Something new and messy although I was told that's how it's done in some restaurants back in the US. We had our seafood in the king's mix and garlic butter sauces. Much preferred the fragrant garlic butter. The crab and lobster meat were fresh and it all tasted fine. Now I already knew it was cost us an arm and a leg for a pincer and claw so I wasn't all that surprised when the cost of what you see here was over S$200. Good food at not-so-low prices, I'll be back but maybe not so soon.





There has been quite a lot of talk in the media bout the poor in this country. While I do believe there are some here that definitely need daily financial aid to get by, it is also my belief that the majority of them aren't really poor but just lacking in simple common sense on how to save money.

I have seen teenagers who live in one-room apartments armed with the latest smartphones. Young adults who spend hundreds of dollars every Friday night at nightspots, then complain they don't have a cent in their bank account before the end of the month. Couples who spend tens of thousands of dollars on their wedding and overseas honeymoon, then wonder why they can't afford an apartment the next day. When I see or hear true stories like that, it's so sad it makes me wanna laugh. Really.

Back when I was a kid, there was a compulsory savings program in primary school and all of us little kids had to put money into our bank account each week. I don't know if there's still such a program but young people today really should learn how to save some money before it's too late. And seriously, please don't borrow or take a loan out on anything besides an apartment, if you cant afford it, chances are you don't need it.

No comments: