Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cavalock and The Matchbox Menagerie

Having spent countless hours cleaning up my old family home and 'rediscovering' a ton of vintage or retro stuff from around the world, I decided to post some of them here like I did in the last couple months. And also create a new label called 'Home Retro Vintage Stuff', hey, you think you can come up with a better name? :P


Seriously man, I still can't believe some of the stuff I have found in dusty boxes, under the dressing table, behind the kitchen cupboards, etc. I ain't kidding. There is just sooooo much more to catalog that I do honestly feel overwhelmed at times. Oh, and it would be great if you could leave a tick in the little boxes below if you find any of it interesting.

The above pix is a box bout the size of a shoebox and in it are about a hundred or more old matchboxes from the US. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, my late uncle spent most of the 70s and 80s working all over the US, and from what I just found it looked like he must have paid a visit to every darn diner and restaurant from the East Coast to the West Coast. It's definitely a very interesting find and like most of the other finds, I have no idea what to do with them! The matchsticks are all gone so maybe I could frame or stick them somewhere? Or maybe I should go sign up at one them hands and crafts courses?

Between my caregiving duties and playing my home version of American Pickers, I was fortunate to still find time to whip up something halfway decent a few hours ago.


Some cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, chopped up basil, a dash of balsamic vinegar followed by a drizzle of olive oil, toss them all up and you got a very quick, cheap yet delicious tomato salad. I thought it had a nice taste balance to it, the cheese was savory enough and the balsamic vinegar gave an appropriate little kick to the whole thing. Come on, you gotta admit, it looks pretty good! ;)


No comments: