Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cavalock and The Lucky Peach Endorsement

Here I go lamenting bout having a freelance gig again. Hah, I know that sounds terrible if you are reading this and you haven’t got a gig ‘in these lean times’. I’m merely hoping for the chance to cook up something in the new kitchen and this gig just keeps preventing me from indulging in my extra-curricular amateur culinary hi-jinks.

Well, the gig ends this month and even though they have asked me to stayed for another month, I said “no”. Wanna spend more time with my family and do the things I wanna do! Having all the money in the world and no time to spend or enjoy them doesn’t make sense to me.

As I’m writing this, it’s only a day before the launch of the new iPad aka iPad 3. I bought the original one just days after it was officially launched here about two years ago. I got the 36GB one but sold it off at a small loss and bought the max 64GB one less than a month later. Cos it’s that friggin’ good a gadget!

So will I finally get one with a camera? I doubt so since I really can’t imagine holding it up to my eye and snapping pictures with it. Retina display? Well, the dishes on Top Chef ain’t gonna whet my appetite anymore than usual, no matter how eye-popping vibrant they may be. My weekly or monthly reading material is only as good as each quality scan. And that’s my stand on the new iPad, or at least until someone buys me one.


The Lucky Peach magazine you see in the college (yes, I got another new college-making iPhone app!) is a fantastic read. If you like good food and good writing, you go do yourself a favor right now and get this crazy ass magazine. It’s only a quarterly mag from the US and I got it at Kinokuniya just the other day (yes, I don’t download everything, I still buy printed stuff).

More than a few interesting and insightful articles by chefs, about other chefs and the industry, unique behind-the-scenes look at restaurants (and their toilets), weird recipes, etc. I mean, imagine a bunch of celebrity chefs on acid working with what looks like the Wired magazine design team stoned on weed, Lucky Peach would be the love child.

The piece by Mario Batali is a hoot to read! I couldn’t put it down. He can write and he doesn’t pull any punches in the article. I didn’t know he worked for Marco White, and that he walked out after Marco hit him with a pan of risotto!

3 comments:

red fir said...

How much did you pay for the Lucky Peach mag at Kino? I'm trying to buy through Amazon but not sure if it's any cheaper.

Cavalock said...

It's retails at S$15.90 at Kino and with the 20% member sale (till this weekend), it's totally worth it esp since the US price is US$12.

red fir said...

Haha amazon is selling at US$9.40 hahaha. Think I will buy from amazon instead.